By La Petite Acadienne
In my many years of reading fashion magazines, I’ve occasionally seen a piece written about the “must-haves” for a jewelry wardrobe. These pieces are considered the ultimate, versatile, can’t-live-without-them classics that will serve you from age 19 through 99 and beyond.
The list usually goes like this:
- Pearl Stud Earrings
- Diamond Solitaire Earrings
- Hoop Earrings
- Diamond Solitaire Pendant
- Pearl Strand or Pearl Drop Necklace
- Gold Bracelet
- Gold Chain Necklace
- Signature Piece in your most flattering gemstone
Personally, I have no quibble with this list. There are no items that could be considered bad choices, really. And it goes without saying that if you ARE going to purchase any of these pieces, please buy the best quality that you can afford.
That being said, are those the eight pieces of jewelry that I should own?
If I were to be limited to eight pieces of jewelry, my list would have some of those items, but it would also look a bit different. This is based on my own personal preferences, on sentimentality, on my workplace, on my body shape, on my clothing choices, and on a myriad of other factors that tell me that pearl stud earrings, while perfectly lovely, are not on my list of bare necessities.
So what is? (Wedding jewelry excluded – I’m talking about things you’d buy for yourself.)
- Diamond solitaire earrings – personally, I can’t think of any woman who couldn’t use these, but your mileage may vary.
- Medium gold hoops – great for work or for weekend. My mom bought me a pair when I was 18, and I still have them and wear them often.
- Larger gold hoops – to add a bit of gypsy-ish allure to a weekend or evening outfit. I like hoops, so sue me.
- A big honkin’ cocktail ring – it should look like something your fabulous Nana owned. If you didn’t have a fabulous Nana, then make one up, and buy a ring that you think she would have liked. This little number makes any outfit more special. Wear a simple outfit with one standout bauble, and you’ll look like the most confident woman in the room.
- A turquoise necklace –this is a summer staple for me. It looks amazing with any and every skin tone and just adds a great summery feel to basic outfits.
- Some sort of diamond pendant – a solitaire is subtle and classic, and can be a workhorse of your jewelry wardrobe.
- A sparkly brooch – some sweaters have necklines that don’t really lend themselves well to necklaces. And if you wear interesting glasses, you might not want earrings that compete. So how to oomph up a plain sweater? Get thee a brooch. Again, pretend that it was your fabulous Nana’s.
- A chunky steel men’s-style watch – yes, I know we all just check the time on our cell phones, but your cell phone does not add edge and panache to your look. A masculine watch keeps a girly outfit from being too sweet, and adds extra interest and mystery to a business outfit.
Some of you might look at my list and disagree to the point of throbbing forehead veins. Others might look at it and say, “ZOMG!!!1 she has read my mind!”
So…what are YOUR eight must-haves?